ABOUT MARY BETH
“I believe that powerful books challenge norms. They emerge in response to ideas that refuse to be constrained. Mary Beth sees the book that could be. She delights in bravely committing to making it better than the rest of us could even imagine. She creates the circumstances in which innovation and passion flourish. Through brilliant pairings of author, illustrator, designer - and deft edits, queries, gestures and conversations - she gives rise to remarkable books that change us, kids and authors alike, and the ways we come to see anew."
— Elin Kelsey, Award-winning Author and international leader in environmental science education
Experienced Content Developer
• Co-editor of Dreaming in Indian: Contemporary Native American Voices, an anthology that explores through stories, poetry, photographs, visual art the experience of growing up Native. The anthology has received numerous awards and honors including a School Library Journal Best Book 2014 and Kirkus Best Book 2014, 2015 USBBY Honor Award, and 2016 American Indian Youth Literature Award Honor Book.
• Co-editor of Urban Tribes: Native Americans in the City an anthology that chronicles contemporary Indigenous life in the city, breaking down stereotypes and offers insight into Indigenous worldviews. Among other accolades, the anthology has been named a 2017 Red Maple Award Nominee and Skipping Stones Honor Book.
• As Owlkids Editorial Director, developed award-winning books such as You Are Stardust, Off to Class: Incredible and Unusual Schools Around the World, Learning to Speak series.
• In-house lead for character development of popular, long-running comic strips Chirp, The Vole Brothers, Max Finder, Alex and Charlie.
• Written Robbie and Emily serial stories for Chirp Magazine, My Class and Me Memory Scrapbook series for Kids Can Press.
• Worked with Grammy Lifetime Achievement Winner Robbie Robertson and industry veterans Jim Guerinot, Sebastian Robertson and Jared Levine on first children's book Legends, Icons, and Rebels, handling project management, editing and commissioning of art.
• Senior Acquisitions editor for digital collection of contemporary Canadian writers, acquiring work from artists including Lisa Moore, Karen Connelly, David Groulx, Marina Nemat and Jessica Westhead.
Valued Consultant to Trade and Educational Publishers
• Editorial Consultant for the September 2014 relaunch of OWL magazine.
• In-depth knowledge of Canadian and US educational markets, providing consulting services — publishing strategy recommendations based on research and analysis — to clients such as McGraw-Hill Ryerson and Orca Book Publishers.
• Provided editorial direction for numerous books and magazine projects honoured with awards such as Amelia Frances Howard Gibbon Illustrator’s Award, Association of Educational Publishers Distinguished Achievement Awards, Blue Spruce, Brain Pickings Best Children’s Illustrated and Picture Books, Green Earth Book Award, Norma Fleck Award for Canadian Non-fiction, Parent’s Choice, YABC Choice Awards, Moonbean, IRA Notable Books for a Global Society.
• Member of the development team for Chirp, Canada’s first pre-school magazine. Editor in its first season when it was named Winner of National Magazine Award honour Best New Magazine in 1997.