DREAMING IN INDIAN
• School Library Journal Best Books 2014
• Kirkus Best Books 2014
• Best Books 2014, American Indians in Children's Literature
• Best Book of 2014, Center for the Study of Multicultural Literature
• 2015 USBBY Outstanding International Book Honor List
• Book of the Year Award, Foreword Reviews
• Skipping Stones Honour Award
• Best Regional Non-fiction, Independent Publishers Award
• Best Books for Kids & Teens, Canadian Children's Book Centre
• White Ravens Collection, International Youth Library, 2015
• Wordcraft Circle Award, Editors Category
• 2015-16 First Nation Communities Read Award finalist
• da Vinci Eye Award finalist
• Eric Hoffer Award finalist
• 2015 Information Book Award finalist, Children
* Kirkus Prize Nomination
* Honor Book, 2016 American Indian Youth Literature Award
About the Book
A collection truly universal in its themes, Dreaming in Indian will shatter commonly held stereotypes and offer readers a unique insight into a community often misunderstood and misrepresented by the mainstream media.
Native artists including acclaimed author Joseph Boyden renowned visual artist Bunky Echo-Hawk, and stand-up comedian Ryan McMahon, contribute thoughtful and heartfelt pieces on their experiences growing up Indigenous.
Whether addressing the effects of residential schools, calling out bullies through personal manifestos, or simply citing hopes for the future, this book refuses to shy away from difficult topics. Insightful, thought-provoking, brutally—and beautifully—honest, Dreaming in Indian is sure to appeal to young adults everywhere.
"…effectively presents honest portrayals of strong, hopeful, and courageous Indigenous youth living non-stereotypical lives. Not to be missed."
— School Library Journal, *starred review
" Original and accessible, both
an exuberant work of art and
a uniquely valuable resource."
— Kirkus Reviews, *starred review
"…a wide-ranging and emotionally potent collection…"
— Publisher's Weekly
"Dreaming in Indian has a vibrancy I've not seen in anything else."
— American Indians in Children's Literature
"…a hectic, colourful, startling book. . . .There is much to celebrate, but the collection does not allow the reader the luxury of complacency."
— Quill & Quire
"Beautifully produced, this a powerful book."
— National Reading Campaign, Readerly
"Innovative in its scope of subjects and its treatment, this enticingly designed compilation presents a true harmony of voices."
— School Library Journal, Best Books 2014
"... belongs in every middle school, high school, and public library."
— CM Reviews